Monday, July 9, 2012

Painting Mondrain


Done your school shopping yet???


Learn more about great abstract artists, including Mondrian in this book-click picture for more info.

Painting Piet Mondrian was my favorite lessons of our Copy Cat Painting Workshop. I loved the way these turned out, and would have loved to have been able to keep each and every one of them to hang in my studio. While this looked like an easy project, it proved to be very challenging, even for the more advanced students.


Our main lesson from copying Mondrian's art was composition, and of course, abstract art and primary colors. We looked at several paintings by Piet Mondrian, and then students were allowed to design their own painting using what they learned about composition.


We used a straight edge to draw our lines in pencil first, then painted in our colors. The colors were limited to primary colors, plus white, and black for the lines.


Because we were pressed for time, we did have to assist with the black lines. I still don't know what would be the best way for painting the lines, short of letting each line dry before painting another one. The black paint smeared all over the rest of the painting. We had to do a lot of touch up and use a lot of wipes to fix smudges.


The designs were created 100% by the kids, as well as color painting and placement. All we did was help paint some of the black lines and fix smudges.


These were painted in acrylic on a 12 x 12 stretched canvas.


Click here for kid friendly facts on Piet Mondrian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....