Monday, August 1, 2011

Flip Flop Mixed Media


Here's a fun lesson to wrap up the summer-flip flops on a beach towel. My inspiration for this style of painting came from one of my favorite artists, Tricia Robinson, who I discovered at Seaside Beach in Florida. Her art is so fun and colorful!
This is a great lesson to teach texture, collage and color.

Materials used:
Gel Medium
Acrylic Paint
Scrapbook Papers
12 x 12 Canvas


Step One:
I always have students plan and practice their design on paper first.
When design is ready, paint onto canvas in a light color.
I even let them trace their shoe if they wanted since this was not a "drawing" lesson.
I always try to keep it "fun" and not stressful

Step Two:
Outline all in black acrylic paint and let dry completely (doesn't take too long in this heat)
Using acrylic paint and gel medium, paint on a thick layer of paint
Tear paper and stick into paint or add texture or words with tools like fork, stamps, etc.










Possibilities are endless-add texture, add words, borders....


Don't forget to paint the edges and touch up your black lines at the end. These paintings took 2-1/2 hours to complete and the ages ranged from 7 to 12 years.



There are a lot of great books out there too for kids and art, and that introduce collage and papers into projects-I'd love to hear your favorites!

Click picture for more info.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this idea -- a great project for last week of school when we need to use up old paint & such! Thanks :) New follower.

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....