Saturday, June 11, 2011

Painting Razorbacks


Week two of art painting workshops got me ready for Razorback football! I did two art lessons for painting a Razorback. This lesson posted here is was geared for 4th-6th grade students.  This lesson was just in time to make great Father's Day gifts for Dad Hog fans.



First we looked at several hog pictures, paintings and cartoons from the internet for inspiration. I taught a short drawing lesson on four different "hogs" and showed the students how to break it down into your most basic shapes first. I let students practice their drawings and then select one of the four hogs they drew on their practice paper.



Next I instructed students to paint out their design with a light colored wash, focusing on shapes, not detail.


After students got their basic shapes, I instructed them to go over them with more detail in black.



Painting in the back ground and edges came next.


Now some color for the Hogs.



Since this was an older group, I let them have a little more freedom with their artistic expression-I let them choose their design, style and color schemes.



Students were also encouraged to paint their edges with a decorative design. We did these in acrylic paint on a 16 x 20 canvas. We completed this painting in a 2-1/2 hour workshop.




1 comment:

  1. There are going to be some very happy dads on Father's Day! Fun idea.

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....