Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Painting Butterflies


I had a fun little group of girls getting ready to enter kindergarten in class last week. I had planned to do folk art style houses, but they vetoed me and collectively rallied for butterflies...so glad I went with their suggestion because we had some beautiful butterflies!


I always try to incorporate in all my lessons how wonderful it is that God gave us so many beautiful things in creation alone that can inspire us to create art. Butterflies are a great example.


I also like to talk about what an awesome creator God is-the best artist that ever existed-and the Bible says that we are created in His image. We all have the ability to be creative!


God gave us each a unique ability to create, just like he made us each unique in the way we look, in our talents and our personalities


It's wonderful that we each have a unique and different way to express ourselves...


just like these butterfly paintings. No two are the same!


In one of my classes, as I was explaining about what an awesome artist God is, one little girl interrupted and said, "but this isn't Sunday school class, this is art class." 


Nothing makes my heart happier than to share just how much God is involved in the creative process, and a part of everything that inspires us as an artist. 


Her comment made my day, and reminded me why I love teaching art to kids!


In this lesson we also learned about the color wheel and patterns in art. Paintings were done in acrylic on a 16 x 20 canvas in a 2-1/2 hour workshop.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....