Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Art Journaling to me


I've been art journaling for years now, but it's just been over the past year that I started making it an everyday habit. I first started out using old books to occasionally sketch out art inspiration, glue magazine tear outs of something I wanted to paint or a color combo I loved, or just practicing drawing things that I would see. Now I have several types of journals going all at once; one to experiment in, a prayer journal, a daily journal and a demo journal. 

I have been so inspired and encouraged to grow in my journaling skills over the years by great artists like Tammy Garcia at Daisy Yellow Art, Rae Missigman, and Stephanie Ackerman with Documented Faith. They are so generous to share their techniques and tips and encourage other artists in their creative process.

Not only does art journaling help me grow and learn more about myself as an artist, but it's a safe place for me to record my emotions, prayers, dreams and daily lists. I love looking back through my journals and remembering the journey, and also being able to create a little piece of myself that my children and grandchildren will treasure one day.


More often than not, I create several page spreads ahead of time, so I have time and pre-prepared space to do my writing each day.


 Some days my journaling may only be art...


Somedays it may be a verse or quote...


Maybe something I've seen in a book or magazine that inspires me...


A memory or memorial...


Somedays I just write and express my emotions onto a page I've created in the past...



Sometimes I just record an encouraging scripture or thoughts from my daily Bible reading...



or a prayer...


I also have a calendar for each month and lots of to do lists, goals, etc...


If you are in the Northwest Arkansas area and are interested in learning how to get an art journal started, I will be offering some beginning art journaling workshops this fall and winter. Email your info to me at Spanglerstacy@yahoo.com,  and I will email you a flyer with dates and times once I have them set. In my workshops I will teaching art journaling basics-from what supplies you need to get started, and how to use them in a variety of ways to create simple art techniques like collage, stamping, lettering, watercolor, stenciling and more.

I am also available to teach classes or workshops for retreats, special events or your own private group, here in Northwest Arkansas or other towns across Arkansas and surrounding states. Email me for details. 

Follow me on Instagram under SleepyheadDesignsStudio to see my daily journal entries. Also, for more pictures and happening from my studio, follow me on Facebook.www.facebook.com/sleepyhead.designs.studio 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....