Sunday, October 20, 2013

Smart Fab Pillows

Smart Fab Pillows


I was so excited to get three rolls of Smart Fab to try out for some new project ideas. First I watched their demo video and my creative juices started brewing. According to their website, Smart-Fab is the smart alternative to paper and cloth and it's available in a range of brilliant, non-fading colors. This innovative non-woven fabric is easy to cut, fold, glue, sew and staple – and even paint and draw on. Smart-Fab is strong, yet flexible - but doesn’t fray. And, it’s recyclable! Children and educators love working with Smart-Fab. It’s perfect for an unlimited range of indoor and outdoor projects, including bulletin boards, banners, arts & crafts and scenic design.


My middle child is sewing now, so I enlisted her help with my idea. I'm always wanting cute outdoor accent pillows for my screened in porch that I can change out for each season, but don't want to spend the $$, so I decided to give Smart Fab a try for some fall designs.


I used a 12 x 12 canvas as my template for a square and added and extra four inches to the outside. Using chalk, I traced my shape onto the Smart Fab.


I sketched out my design in chalk.


I used acrylic paint for my pumpkin design. I did have to use a couple layers because the Smart Fab really soaked up the paint and dulled the color, especially on the black fabric. I used masking tape to secure the edges to the table so I could paint without it sliding around.


I put the finished fabric outside on a hanger to dry for about 15 minutes.


My daughter stitched the edges, and then I used scissors and easily cut the fringe--and yes, crisp clean edges-no fraying! I stuffed with some cotton filling and now I have a cute fall pillow. This project took me about 1 hour total, including the drying time.


Click on this LINK to see a great video with more creative ideas for using Smart Fab. You can follow Smart Fab on Facebook HERE. I'm looking forward to doing some more ideas with my Smart Fab samples :)



1 comment:

  1. Love it! I'm actually doing a Smart Fab giveaway on my blog! Check it out : )

    http://art-paper-scissors.blogspot.com/2013/10/smart-fab-owls-and-smart-fab-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....