Saturday, January 24, 2015

Using Gesso in an Art Journal


 Here's a quick step by step of how I did my week two challenge for the Documented Life Project-the Journal. The challenge is facing the blank page with gesso, and the quote was by Mary Shelley.


I use gesso on almost every journal page. I love the texture that it gives, and it allows it to hold up better for all the layers. Here I glued on some burlap and cotton duct canvas pieces and then covered it all in gesso. I added a little paint to the gesso in the background here.



After that dried, I added some color with acrylic paint.


On the next layer, I used some bubble wrap and stamps to imprint more texture. I also used a watercolor pencil to outline everything. I used my Friday and Saturday hand carved stamps since I am using my journal for a planner also.


More stamps and some designs.


I finished it off with some neocolor crayon shading, more doodles, paint and the Mary Shelley quote. This quote really brought to mind one of my favorite verses, Lamentations 3:22-23. "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Truly, with Jesus, the beginning is always today!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....