Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Traveling Artist

My oldest child plays AAU basketball, so from April till August, we are on the road a lot. When I used to travel for an occasional vacation, I would just bring my art journal and usually a pencil, a small set of watercolor pencils and a few pens. Now, I have quite a collection of supplies that I haul along with me. As my husband affectionately said on our most recent trip, "We have to make room for all mom's arts and "crap" stuff. 

I've seen a lot of posts this summer where artists have shared their travel art kits, so as I packed mine up this week, I took some pictures so I could share with you.


I always include my favorite pens, pencils and a couple brushes. My favorite black and white permanent pens for writing, doodling and accenting, are from Scarlet Lime. I also always bring a few of my gelly roll pens.


For journaling and summer icad 2014, I usually always use the Elmer's painters pens. They blend and cover so well. I also like the Faber Castell pens, but mainly use the white one for accenting.


I bring a credit card for paint, a water brush, my mini mister (Scarlett Lime), sponge, binder clip, some mod podge, some baby wipes in a baggie and scissors. I also like the Uhu glue stick because it doesn't dry up like the other brands.


Have to have my neocolor water-soluble crayons. I use these all the time!


Some of my stamps and an ink pad.


A few small stencils.


A small collection of my favorite colors of ink sprays and acrylic paint. I also bring a small bottle filled with gesso. I usually always bring some of my mini bottle of Golden acrylics (they have a great sampler set that is perfect for traveling), but I forgot them this trip.


I put it all in the small rubber container that snaps shut and had a handle on the top. This is probably 9 x 6, and maybe about 6-7 inches deep. It holds quite a bit, and depending what I put in it, I can usually fit my journal inside (not this time).


I also bring a small baggie with some paper scraps and other elements to help spur my creativity. I have a couple of these for sale in my Etsy Store for $8. They are perfect for traveling, art journaling and mixed media projects.


This trip I took my three favorite journals. One sketch and two mixed media.


It all fits perfectly in this cute little bag that one of my students gave me for Christmas one year.


So there is my current art travel kit. What do you have in yours? Any of your favorites I need to add to mine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....