Saturday, May 10, 2014

Recycled Journal



I absolutely love repurposing items that most people throw away, and make them into something beautiful. My husband says I'm a hoarder, but I don't keep everything… I got a shipment of art supplies this week from Amazon, and I couldn't pass up some good corrugated cardboard. I've been brainstorming for journal cover ideas for my upcoming summer journaling workshop, so I decided to make up a sample out of recycled materials. Here's a peak of what I've completed so far, and a brief picture tutorial I what I did. 


I cut the box into two rectangles- approximately 6 x 9.


I love the more distressed look, so I peeled off part of the top to expose some of the corrugation.


If you like the cleaner look, you can skip this step and use the blank side of the board. I prefer the texture and the print to show.


I snagged a couple of these great plaid napkins from a luncheon the other day. Napkins are great for collage, especially if you separate the layers first.


Using matte Mod Podge, I adhered some old paper scraps, old book pages and napkins for my first layer.


Next, I dripped some white acrylic ink over the top.


After several more layers of spray ink, stencils, stamps, wash tape and some cool stamps from a letter I received, I'm loving the way this is turning out. I will show more pictures along the way as I continue to work on it.


1 comment:

  1. I just love what you do and your great talent is amazing..!

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....