Thursday, October 20, 2011

Painting Owls Folk Art Style


This week, I've taught three different classes on painting owls folk art style, and I think by the last class, I finally figured out what worked best. Sometimes that's how it goes. 


I showed the students several different ways to draw owls, and then they got to design their own. We also brainstormed together as a class for different pattern ideas. 


I introduced "Folk Art" to the students and we looked at several examples of different types of folk art. I focused in on the colors, patterns and child-like qualities of folk art.


I encouraged students to use bright colors....


I encouraged students to use lots of different patterns....


 I encouraged students to try to stick to three main colors....


Some days I let them have a little freedom with their color choices....


But it's usually easier when I don't. I get mild whining ("..but I wanted a brown owl"), but in the end, they usually love the way they turn out. They still have creative freedom on their design, patterns and accent colors.







T.G.I.F.!  I've fought a terrible head cold all week, plus my low back is killing me! I'm doing a personal painting workshop this weekend so I hope I'm up for it. Can't wait for Sunday so I can rest! Hope you're week was great!



1 comment:

  1. These are great! I love how you showed them various ways of doing the owls first. The colours make them less Halloween-ish, since their just part of God's creation! :)

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited when I receive a comment and I do read each and everyone of them! I wish I had time to respond to each one personally. Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you will be back soon!

You also might like....